Thursday, October 23, 2008

reading

I thought it was very interesting that this book started off with a statistic that says that schools pretty much do nothing for children and then goes on to try and prove that stat wrong. I'm sure it is wrong but still...I guess it did do the job of capturing my attention. 
I also wanted to write about the school I went to today. I went to Mr. Jorgensen's class at Timpanogos High School. Although all the students were doing was catching up on their work before the quarter ended I was really impressed with his organization skills. He has created lesson plans that are so thought out and structured perfectly that he doesn't have to spend his time scrambling around for something to teach or show the kids. The one thing I didn't like about his class was the fact that lots of the students finished the assignments and spent most of the period playing games. I really wouldn't care if my students played computer games if they finished their work and it was the last 10 min. of class or something. This was about 5 kids playing computer games for 45 min. of the class. I think if you have a few students that are catching on really well that is great and you should have something extra for them to do or send them on to the next assignment and give them a challenge.

No comments: