Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I thought that the discussion about charter schools was pretty good. I don't really like to debate at all so I didn't like that part at all, but the pros and cons for charter schools were interesting. I personally think that the USA has given every child in the nation the best possible opportunity for success through the public school system. I don't think that should change at all. But, if enough parents want to be that involved in their child's education, then I think they should be able to start a charter school. I think that charters are something that groups of parents want for their kids because they think its better than public schools. If this is what parents want for their child then I think they should pay for it as well. I don't think any money that a state has allocated for education should go to a school that is set up because of parents personal preferences. There are parents that home school their kids because they think its a better education but the state doesn't pay for that, the parents do. I think its the same thing with charter schools, parents should have to pay for it. Would this make charter schools only available to the extremely wealthy? At the start yes, because of the cost to build the school. After that the only cost would be the money for the students supplies. If the state didn't pay at all for charters then that would only make our public schools that much better. All in all if people want something different than what the public is giving them, then they should have to pay for it. 

No comments: