Monday, September 8, 2008

Reflection 1

The first section of the book I read was sections A and B. The most interesting thing that I read about was on pages 38-39. It was the small section where Robert Rosenthal in the 1960's did a test on the teachers of a San Francisco elementary school. I found it extremely interesting that just because the teachers were made to believe that some of there students were extremely gifted that they suddenly became better teachers and there students did better in class as well.
This makes me think of Doctrine and Covenants 18:10, "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God." I think this is true not only because we are His children but because we have within us great potential to succeed in the challenges of life. Although that is probably not the conclusion that Dr. Rosenthal came up with, that is a conclusion that we can draw from it.
I think as teachers it is important to not let the actions of the students who choose not to try affect the way we teach those who are willing to give effort. I think it is also important to note that we as teachers should put forth the most effort everyday. Quitting one day could mean a lot in the long run.

No comments: